The university is governed by the following bodies:
A. BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF BISHOP STUART UNIVERSITY
The Diocese of Ankole by the Charter wholly vests the authority to oversee the University into a body known as the Board of Trustees of Bishop Stuart University.
The Board of Trustees consists of a maximum of five (5) members of high integrity with Christian morals appointed or elected who serve for a period of four years, except for the Chairman who is the Diocesan Bishop of Ankole Diocese.
The Board of Trustees has a mandate to:
- To oversee, guide and advise the University Council on the vision, mission and objects of the University.
- Offer moral and spiritual guidance to the University Council and Senate.
- To market the University nationally and internationally.
- To act as a constant link between the University and the Diocese.
- To raise resources for the University
B. THE UNIVERSITY COUNCIL
The University Council’s composition, functions, terms and conditions are determined by the Board of Trustees in accordance with the statutes. The University Council is composed of a maximum of eleven (11) members.
The University Council is the supreme organ of the University and has a mandate to:-
- Be responsible for the direction of the administrative, financial, planning and academic affairs of the University;
- Formulate the general policy of the University;
- Give the general guidelines to the administrative, academic and support staff on matters relating to the operation of the University;
- Do any other things and take all necessary decisions conducive to the fulfillment of the objects and functions of the University.
Not withstanding the generality of the above duties, Council has power:
- To represent the University in any legal suits by and against the University;
- To raise and receive on behalf of the University, funds, gifts, donations, grants, monies and other properties and make disbursement thereof;
- To approve the University budget and final accounts;
- To provide for the welfare and discipline of the staff of the University, determine staff ranks and positions and the terms and conditions of service;
- To set the rates of various University fees and charges;
- To create University scholarships and other awards and to determine the conditions and modalities to govern them;
- To appoint University staff upon such terms and conditions of service as provided for in the statutes;
- To approve, in consultation with the Senate, regulations governing the conduct and discipline of the academic staff and students of the University;
- To approve and enter into any association with other Colleges or any Institutions of higher learning and research or other bodies either within or outside Uganda;
- To establish, in consultation with Senate and with the approval of National Council for Higher education, such constituent colleges, affiliated institutions, institutes, and new Study Programmes as deemed desirable.
- To constitute the final decision making body in cases of staff and students’ discipline, as stipulated in the statutes
- To make statutes in accordance with the Charter;
- To propose the amendment and amend the Charter when / if it is deemed necessary;
- To make annual reports to the Board of Trustees.
- To appoint University auditors and approve audit reports.